The city has to update its major plans every five years.
They’ve bundled together the update of the plans under the heading “Liveable Ottawa”. This includes:
- Official Plan
- Infrastructure Master Plan
- Transportation Master Plan
- Cycling Plan
- Pedestrian Plan
Of these the most important is the Official Plan. When something is challenged to the OMB, one of the tests is “what does the city’s own plan say?” If the Official Plan isn’t clear, then it becomes hard to defend against developers at the OMB.
The other plans provide an overview of the city’s goals, but to be frank, the city (and the citizens) have not done a good job of holding particularly to the pedestrian plan in the past. It is important that citizens contribute to and understand the plans, and then hold councillors accountable when they don’t follow their own city plans. Every future vote should be based on the direction stated in the plan. Instead votes tend to be seen as standalone, isolated events.
The latest round of consultations was scheduled to start September 23, 2013 at City Hall, but has been rescheduled following the tragic bus-train crash.
The overall information is available at
and the consultation page is http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/planning-and-infrastructure/information-sessions-fall-2013
In addition to attending information sessions, you can read the documents and provide feedback directly by email to email@example.com
Twitter hashtag: #liveableottawa
Schedule of releases and events
- released June 2013 – draft Official Plan
- released Sept 2013 – draft Infrastructure Master Plan
- Oct 9, 2013 – drafts of Transportation Master Plan, Ottawa Cycling Plan and Ottawa Pedestrian Plan – see http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/draft-master-plans-now-available – special joint meeting of Transportation Committee and Transit Commission
- Oct 15, 2013 – information session at Ottawa City Hall – 4pm to 8pm
- Oct 16, 2013 – Consideration of the Transportation Master Plan at Transit Commission
- Oct 17, 2013 – information session at Kanata Recreation Complex – Hall A
100 Walter Baker Place – 4pm to 8pm
- Oct 22, 2013 – information session at Walter Baker Sports Centre – 2nd floor Food Court, 100 Malvern Drive – 4pm to 8pm
- Oct 24, 2013 – information session at Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex – Orléans, Covent Glen Room, 1490 Youville Drive – 4pm to 8pm
- Nov 8, 2013 – Consideration of Official Plan and Infrastructure Master Plan at Planning Committee
- Nov 15, 2013 – Consideration of Transportation Master Plan, Ottawa Cycling Plan, and Ottawa Pedestrian Plan at Transportation Committee
- Nov 26, 2013 – Approval of all Master Plans by Council
- Dec 11, 2013 – Consideration of Official Plan amendment by-law by Council
You can also see the above schedule at http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-consultations/planning-and-infrastructure/project-timelines